5 Signs You May Have Whiplash After a Car Accident
When you think of whiplash, a serious injury may come to mind.
While whiplash is undoubtedly serious, it may manifest in many different degrees of severity. If someone is in a car accident, they may not even realize they sustained an injury like whiplash.
On the other hand, someone else may notice it straight away.
Let’s look at what this injury is and the 5 signs that you may be experiencing whiplash after a car accident.
What is Whiplash?
This physical injury is one of the most common symptoms of car accidents, big and small. It is often also referred to as neck strain, which indicates that it can occur outside of a car accident.
This is certainly true. While many people will experience this neck injury as the result of an automobile accident, it can also result from any type of impact or blow to the head.
Any force that causes your head to jerk back and forth suddenly can cause this neck strain. This sudden force can stretch and even tear the tendons and muscles in your neck.
5 Indicators of Whiplash
What should you look out for to determine whether you have neck strain or not? Let’s take a look:
- Tightness: if you're experiencing neck strain, you'll notice that your neck muscles are tighter than usual.
- Pain: you may suffer from pain and discomfort when rocking your head from one side to the other.
- Stiffness: if you look over your shoulder and turn your head to do so, the muscles may feel stiff.
- Tenderness: as well as the pain you may feel tenderness in the muscles of your neck.
- Headaches: neck strain may cause headaches that manifest at the base of the skull and slowly move forward to the forehead.
The Benefits of Chiropractic as a Whiplash Treatment
Luckily, there are some excellent ways to treat neck strain without the use of medication or invasive surgery.
Chiropractic is a gentle, non-invasive approach to restoring the muscles in your neck and reducing pain and inflammation.
Talk to this family-based chiropractic today about the signs and symptoms of neck strain, and how chiropractic can be a beneficial treatment.
Schedule an Appointment
If you have recently been involved in an accident and think you may be suffering from whiplash, do not delay treatment. Call (214) 618-7746 today.